Summary of Key Achievements
|Dr. Dhan Thiruchelvam|
- Consultant Surgeon Upper GI and HPB Unit St Vincent’s Melbourne.
- Senior Lecturer. University of Melbourne. Department of Surgery St Vincent’s Hospital
- Surgical Mentor St Vincent’s Hospital 2008, 2010-11
- SET 1 and HMO Supervisor St Vincent’s General Surgery Training 2011-
- Faculty Member of the Academy of Surgical Educators. RACS
- Surgical Clinical Fellow in Upper GI and HPB, Royal Infirmary Edinburgh 2009
- Hepatobiliary and Upper GI Fellow, St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne 2007
- Upper GI and HPB Fellow. Box Hill Hospital. Melbourne. 2006.
Sydney University Medical School
Sydney Grammar School
Maitland High School
Sydney University Medical School
- E Trenchard Miller Memorial Scholarship
- James Aitken Scholarship
- Surgeon Upper GI and HPB Unit St Vincent’s
- Senior Lecturer Department of Surgery St Vincent’s
- SET 1 Supervisor St Vincent’s
- Surgeon Angliss Hospital
- Faculty Member of the Academy of Surgical Educators. RACS.
- CLEAR( Critical Literature Evaluation and Research) Course Instructor 2010-. RACS.
- Convenor/Chairman: Inaugural St Vincent’s Surgical Forum 2012. Aikenhead Conference Centre. St Vincent’s Hospital.
- Surgery as a Career. Panel Session for 2013 Interns. Education Centre. St Vincent’s.
- Coordinator Trial Part II FRACS Exam . St Vincent’s 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- Shortlisted for the “Best Supervisor/Teacher-Consultant” by St Vincent’s 2011 Interns.
- Surgical Mentor ,St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne 2008. 2010-11
- Part 2 Exam Technique : Part 2 Exam Course. Victorian Board in General Surgery. March 2011. RACS Spring St Melbourne.
- Melbourne Uni Surgical Student’s Society Suture Workshop. Education Centre. St Vincent’s Hospital
- Diploma in Clinical Education. University of Edinburgh 2011.
Papers , Publications and Presentations
( a selection of some of the many papers and presentations that Dr Dhan Thiruchelvam has undertaken)
- A Novel Endoscopic Technique in Revisional Surgery for Complications of High Gastric Reduction Rajasagaram N, Tokhi A, Thiruchelvam D Banting S.Hepatobiliary and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery Unit, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne Poster Presentation ANZGOSA/OSSANZ 2015.
- Magnetic Surgical Instruments for Robotic Abdominal Surgery. Leong F, Garbin N, Di Natali C, Mohammadi A, Thiruchelvam D, Oetomo D, Valdastri P. IEEE Rev Biomed Eng. 2016 Jan 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- S Flatman, J Darby, P McKelvie, P Stanley, D Thiruchelvam. A Case of Massive Gastrointestinal Haemorrhage. ANZ J Surg March 2010.
- Torsion of the Gallbladder. D Reilly, G Kalogeropolous, D Thiruchelvam. Journal of Surgical Case Reports. JSCR 2011; 3: 5
- Torsion of the gallbladder: a systematic review Daniel J. Reilly, George Kalogeropoulos1, Dhan Thiruchelvam HPB Vol 14, Issue 10 pages 669–672, October 2012
- A Framework for Emergency Surgery in Victorian Public Health Services. Department of Health publication. Co author. 2012.
- A.Newey, D.Thiruchelvam, R. Davies. Isolated occlusion due to Cystic Adventitial Disease of the Popliteal artery- Ultrasound diagnosis. Journal Of ASUM ( Australasian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine) May 7 2004.
- Poster Presentation RACS ACS 2012 KL Malaysia. Cavernous Haemangioma of the Adrenal. J.McKenzie, D Thiruchelvam
- Surgery for Gastrointestinal Neuroendocrine Tumours. Peter Mac Colorectal Meeting Sofitel. March 24th 2011.
- RACS ASC 2010 Perth. Cholecystostomy: When, Where and How? Presentation in HPB section
- S Flatman, J Darby, P McKelvie, P Stanley, D Thiruchelvam. A Case of Massive Gastrointestinal Haemorrhage: An Important Consideration in Travellers, Poster Presentation. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Annual Scientific Congress, 5-9th May 2009, Brisbane
- Atypical Reflux and the indications for surgery. Epworth Barrett’s and Reflux Symposium. Park Hyatt . 23/3/2012.
- Human Gallbladder Cells used in the treatment of Diabetes. Peter Ryan Prize Meeting St Vincent’s Melbounre. 12/11/2011.
- Free Paper Presentation. ASC 2010 Perth. Comparing CT and EUS in Oesophageal cancer. S Flatman, D Thiruchelvam, R Chen and R Cade. May 2010 Perth
- Endoscopic Management of post cholecystectomy biliary fistula. M. Hii, R Cade, D Thiruchelvam, S Banting. 20/11/10. Peter Ryan Surgical Prize Meeting. Education Centre St Vincent’s Hospital
- Human Gallbladder-derived islet progenitors for cell replacement therapy in diabetes. Dr Anand Hardikar ( Bernie O’Brien Institute) , D Thiruchelvam ( St V). Peter Ryan Surgical Prize Meeting. Education Centre St Vincent’s Hospital. 20/11/10
- O’Brien, R., Thiruchelvam, D. Fox, A. Van Dijk, J. (2008) Using live video links to operating theatres as a teaching tool for undergraduate medical students. Peer reviewed short presentation. 13 National Prevocational Medical Education Forum, November 9 – 12, 2008, Hobart, Australia
- Live Surgery Education Project. St Vincent’s Health. The use of live broadcast surgery with Surgeon facilitation as an educational tool for Medical Students. 2008
- ESWG: Emergency Surgery Working Group of DHS Victoria. General Surgery Representative from RACS. 2009-2010
- Regional Subcomittee for Board in General Surgery 2011